Wednesday, March 18, 2009

How To Relate With The Press 101

"We talking about practice."
Just keep repeating it until it seems ridiculous to even be talking about it.

1. Jason Schmidt: ""I just try to get up there on the mound and not think about Opening Day or five days from then. I'm thinking of eventually getting in a game, getting in a game in L.A. and pitching in the big leagues. There's no set timetable."

Actually, that's a damn good Zen-like approach to recovering from an injury. This of course is not what you say to the press however as it makes you seem like an overpaid disaster rather than a hardworking pitcher looking to get back out in the mound. GRADE: C-

WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE SAID: I'm sorry I've become Darren Driefort.

2. Julian Tavarez on his new employers, the Washington Nationals: "When you go to a club at 4 in the morning, and you're just waiting, waiting, a 600-pounder looks like J-Lo. And to me this is Jennifer Lopez right here. It's 4 in the morning. Too much to drink. So, Nationals: Jennifer Lopez to me."

Wow......not only does this have a classless, disturbing sexual metaphor, it's also a confusing classless, disturbing sexual metaphor. And it insults your employer. On second thought who is interviewing a fringe journeyman reliever? GRADE: F

WHAT HE SHOULD HAVE SAID: Nothing....absolutely nothing.

3. Duaner Sanchez on his new employers, the San Diego Padres and their ballpark: "
To see a couple of teams were interested in me was great. I played with the Dodgers before (2004-05), and I loved playing in California. That was one of the main reasons I signed here. And I heard it was a good group of players. I love it there, (PETCO Park) you're not going to find a lot of places like that anymore."

Bland, boring, positive, and forgettable. GRADE: A+

4. A-Rod Photo


Okay so A-Rod is now approaching a Bondsian level of detachment from reality. On some level, I am deeply, deeply concerned for A-Rod's mental health right now. Seriously, he's on a Lady Macbeth like decent into madness.

WHAT HE SHOULD HAVE DONE:

This:
Serious A-Rod.....you're an admitted drug user, everyone knows you think you're bigger than Jesus, so why not? Look for A-Rod to hook up with a Japanese conceptual artist and go solo.....2 great albums, 2 good ones, and a mixed bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment