Monday, March 9, 2009

Welcome

So....it finally happened. After years and years of Dodgers baseball I have finally broken down and decided to start my own blog about my beloved blue crew.

First post, so some basic facts about me. I have been a Dodger fan my entire life. This is because my father raised me right......dad has been to a Dodger game at Dodger Stadium every year since 1962, and I have been to one every year since 1990. So many of my childhood memories of summers in L.A. end with the sentence "and then we rushed away to Dodger Stadium." I have been to 35-45 Dodger games in my life which is pretty damn amazing when you consider that I have never lived in California.

I worked in a minor league ballpark for two years which was an interesting experience. First season I was a ticket taker, second season I was a ticket seller. Working for a minor league ball club is not something you want to do if you don't love the game. After I started college and sort of moved on, the team decided to affiliate with the Dodgers which made me wicked pissed.

Top Five Favorite Dodgers of All Time
5. Manny Ramirez
4. Mike Piazza
3. Russell Martin
2. Brett Butler
1. Mike Scioscia

Three Best Dodger Games I Ever Attended
3. May 17, 1996: sellout crowd, Nomo pitching strikes out the side in the 1st, Piazza hits HR, Dodgers win 6-3
2. June 18, 1991: 13 inning game, Eddie Murray wins it with a walkoff single, "Eddie Eddie Eddie!"
1. July 23, 2004: Adrian Beltre walkoff HR against Padres....this win propelled us to the playoffs in my mind

Last Dodger game I attended: August 10, 2008. Giants win in SF on about eight Casey Blake errors, I get flipped off and jeered for proudly wearing blue. Actually for a loss this was a great game....I'd rather have the W of course but getting hated on my Giants fans makes me feel alive.

Top 5 Dodger Blogs
5. Dodger Thoughts: now on L.A. Times, good info and some insight
4. Dodger Blues: basically "The Onion" of Dodger baseball. I'm proud to have one of the lookalikes listed.
3. Fire Ned Colletti Now: good statistical analysis, sense of humor
2. Sons of Steve Garvey: excellent sort of pop culture look at Dodgers, posts frequently
1. Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness: the be all end all of Dodger blogs

Where the Blog Title Comes From: Parody of Aqua Teen Hunger Force quote......Carl wants a mural of the "'91 Giants, you know, cresting a hill." And that's the New York Football Giants, so it's cool.

My Goal: To be mentioned with the aforementioned blogs.

Where I Stand On Stats vs. Scouts: I'm kind of a stats guy, but in a sort of simple way. To me baseball basically breaks down to on base percentage, keeping that high while you're on offense and keeping it low while pitching. Basically a lot of SABR stats are just fancier ways of looking a OBP to me. While I do believe that ultimately baseball is a game that cannot be completely measured statistically, I think most stats guys would agree with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment